[mythtv-users] Starting mythfrontend on a second screen doesn't work

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 18:29:24 UTC 2006

On 6/5/06, Dom H <speedsix.lists at googlemail.com> wrote:
> When I run the command 'mythtfrontend -display :0.1' myth starts but
> watching tv gives just a blue image.
>
> If I start the frontend from the second screen it works fine. I need to use
> the -display arg because I want it to start on boot on the second screen.
>
> Machine is using an nvida dual head card. Command prompt prints this when
> myth starts with the above command.
>
> X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8

Ah, don't worry, there is a way that really works to get two instances
of mythfrontend running on both heads.

See the thread at the following URL:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/202127?search_string=nvidia%20twinview%20problems;#202127

Among the advantages of using an xorg.conf that allows two
mythfrontends is that you can leave all the "Entertainment Center"
devices powered off (Big Screen TV, AV Receiver, etc.), and bring up a
mythfrontend on your monitor to do maintenance work, whatever.

If you read thru the thread mentioned above, make a backup copy of
your current xorg.conf, and use an xorg.conf similar to the example(s)
referenced therein, you should be able to get two mythfrontends to run
simultaneously.

--
MM