[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this(overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

William Powers wepprop at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 31 01:25:13 UTC 2006

chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:
> I checked my schedule just for laughs.  Out of 52 shows in the next
> 14 days that I would like to record, only two occur back-to-back on
> the same channel.  Two other pairs are back-to-back on different
> channels, and the remaining 46 are non-sequential.  A sample size
> of one has no statistical significance, of course...

A very, very high percentage of the programs I care about occur
back-to-back on the same channel.  I record mostly very old movies off
TCM, whcih occur in blocks depending on which actor they are honoring
that day, and vintage Science Fiction programs that occur during
all-day-marathons on SciFi channel.  I have four (count them: 4 )
Hauppauge hardware encoding SD tuners.  One of them produces archival
quality recordings on virtually every channel, the other three all have
annoying interference artifacts on some channels, including the ones I
care most about.

On the other hand, if I don't overlap the recordings, I invariably lose
the beginning or the end of one of the programs, and I do mean lose,
given the time it takes my hardware encoders to recycle.  So, at
present, Myth won't let me record adjacent programs of equal priority on
the same channel on my highest quality encoder.  Thus, invariably, some
of the programs I most care about end up recorded on lower priority
encoders with interference artifacts.

Unless, of course, I manually schedule the entire block of time I care
about at a very high priority and then watch each program from that block.

In this case, Myth doesn't work for me, I work for Myth.

If y'no one interested in working on this capability, that's fine, I
won't complain.  But stop telling me I don't want it, 'cause when you do
that, you don't know what you are talking about.

Bill