[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this with recordings?

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Wed Jul 26 18:37:43 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 01:41:48PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > It all comes down to the same design choice we discussed a week or
> > two ago when talking about how live TV buffers can wipe out half
> > your hard drive if you leave it tuned to a channel that has no
> > program data.
> Geez.  Now you're just flat out lying about things.  Please stop.

Some of us didn't go out and buy 5 tuners and a terabyte of storage
to build our dream PVR systems.  Mine only has one tuner and holds
about 70 hours of recordings (two parameters that are unlikely to
change any time soon), and live TV can cause 24 hours of that to
expire under the right circumstances (which very nearly bit me when
my cable lineup changed and Zap2It had no data for my favorite
channel for about a week).  OK, so it would only wipe out one third
of my drive instead of half - big lie.

Don't get me wrong - I really and truly appreciate the work you've
done.  I just don't see MythTV as ever being "Aunt Tillie Approved"
because you're approaching the project from a programmer's (and
hardware collector's) perspective instead of from the common user's
perspective and are trying to solve complex problems with simple
solutions that work for most of the people most of the time but
generate fringe cases and frustration elsewhere and only make later
changes even more difficult.

Don't worry.  You don't have to change a thing.