[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this (overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

Peter Watkins peterw at tux.org
Wed Jul 26 16:10:07 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 11:43:51AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 07/26/06 10:31, George Nychis wrote:
>
> >I have 2 shows recording back to back...
> >
> >First show: 5:00pm-5:30pm
> >Second show: 5:30pm-6:00pm
> >
> >Both shows are on the *same* channel.
> >
> >If I set the first show to end 1 minute late, and I have only 1 tuner,
> >is mythtv smart enough to put the 6:00pm-6:01pm minute into both recordings?

You mean the 5:30pm to 5:31pm minute, right?

> Nope.

This happens to me nearly every week, as my general settings are something
like start 2 minutes early and end 2 minutes late, and I do have a pair of
back-to-back shows regularly scheduled for recording.

It stinks when I want to watch the recording of Second Show before watching
the recording of First Show only to discover that Second Show started a little
early. Watching the beginning of Second Show means jumping through First
Show, which usually spoils a number of plot devices in First Show. Even when
I do watch the recordings in order, if Second Show started early (or on time),
I have to deal with the "break" being in the wrong spot.

If Myth should expect the same data for both recordings (e.g., both are
HDTV, or both use the same recording profile), then I think Myth ought to be
smart enough to copy/splice the overlap video into both recordings and only use
one tuner. At least for schedules that are driven by program guide data (vs.
VCR-style hard-coded date/time schedules), this should work really well.

-Peter