[mythtv-users] Replicated MySQL database, dynamic 'master' backend....?

Andrew Wilson migmog at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 16:56:38 UTC 2006

On 23/07/06, Richard Woelk <richardwoelk at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> I have an idea,
>
> If you can install the mythtv master backend and SQL server on the NAS
> computer. Backends can exist without capture cards set up, and it can
> still tell the frontend the path to the video files.
> Then the actual backend, with capture cards, will be a slave backend,
> and it can be woken up only when it needs to record.
>
> Richard Woelk

Hi Richard

Yep, that would be the ideal solution. Unfortunately I think the NAS
would be swapping like crazy as it's only got 32 megs of ram, and
there would be some work to do to get it all cross-compiled and
running nicely.

I'm toying with the idea of moving the frontend into my cupboard and
just having a user interface box with the DVD, VFD, IR sensor, control
knob and buttons connected by a USB cable through the wall. I'd need
long video and audio cables too. Then I can put the tuners in it and
switch off the backend. No heat or fans in the living room, less power
consumed, everyone's a winner. Power consumption on FE would go up
10W, but overall it would be a reduction. Plus I don't have this
problem with waiting for the BE to wake up, and there's a reduction in
complexity which is always a Good Thing.

Andrew