[mythtv-users] Lirc's evil twin

Preston Crow pc-mythtv06a at crowcastle.net
Fri Jul 21 20:54:38 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 20:35 +0200, Henrik Gammelmark wrote:
> I am having problems using lirc with mythfrontend and mythtv-setup.
> (1) Often I need to press the same key multiple times, or hold it down a
> while until it is detected.
> (2) Even if I do not start lircd, there are no loaded lirc modules,
> there are no /dev/lirc* devices, the number-keys makes myth react as
> were they arrow keys

Yup.  I just figured this out on my system.  I'm guessing that you're
using the ivtv IR, right?  The IR driver for that card (and several
others) is now in the kernel, and I've found no way of disabling it.

cat /proc/bus/input/devices

You'll see the keyboard, mouse, and IR.  The IR acts as a keyboard input
by default, and you can remap the keys with various tools.  However, if
you use xine or mplayer, you'll want them to see different keys than
Myth for the same buttons, so you still need lirc.  You can do this by
using lirc with the devinput driver instead of the hauppauge driver.

You'll need different /etc/lircd.conf and ~/.mythtv/lircrc files.

You'll also need different options starting lircrc.  On my Gentoo
system, my /etc/conf.d/lircd file:

LIRCD_OPTS="-d /dev/input/event2"

While it was a pain making the transition, I'm very happy with the end
result.  Now lirc doesn't require any kernel modules, so I don't have to
recompile it when I upgrade my kernel.  Soon ivtv will be in the kernel,
and the only module I'll need is nvidia.  (Is there some way to build
modules for the kernel you're about to boot instead of the running
kernel?  I've had to hack it with a special start-up script that emerges
the necessary packages if the associated modules aren't loaded as
expected.)