[mythtv-users] Recovering when zap2it screws the pooch---a warning & some questions

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Jul 21 19:46:45 UTC 2006

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
>     Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 18:48:53 -0400
>     From: "R. G. Newbury" <newbury at mandamus.org>
>
>     >
>     > I have never said that this was a Myth bug, although you may have
>     > been trying to say that.  I'm saying that the one of my lineups at
>     > labs.zap2it.com was only slightly wrong (two misplaced channels)
>     > and, around when they fixed that, they broke more than 1/3 of the
>     > rest of the channels in that lineup.  The other lineup for that
>     > provider has been right all along.
>     >
>     > Hence my Subject: line.
>
>     So what happens if you go to zap2it and create a brand new account
>     (using a different e-mail address, if possible) and select a zipcode
>     next door to your actual zip and select the same cable co?
>
>     Do you still get a screwed up listing?
>
> Yup.  I just tried that, since my city actually has two zipcodes
> associated with it.  Both are identically screwed up on the lineup
> that assumes you're not using a cable box, and identically okay on
> the lineup that does assume you're using a cable box.
>
> So what I might do is have Myth grab one zipcode's "good" lineup
> for its RF inputs (with the encrypted channels disabled from that
> lineup), and grap the other zipcode's "good" lineup for its cable-box
> inputs (with everything that isn't encrypted disabled), and leave it
> at that, at least until DD gets their act together.  I'm hoping that
> having two different UserIDs configured in my Video Sources page in
> Myth will work (e.g., that DD won't try -not- to serve two different
> UserIDs with the same IP address---which would probably blow up any
> configurations that had two Myths behind the same NAT box, anyway).

So far as I can tell, the userid and password you fill in for one
source, has no relationship to the userid and password for another
source. If you look as the output of mythfilldatabase, the two sourceid
passes appear to be completely separate calls which happen to be dealt
with seriatim. Note that mythfilldatabase has a '--sourceid' switch so
you can check by doing one at a time if you want.

Geoff