[mythtv-users] Recovering when zap2it screws the pooch---a warning & some questions

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Wed Jul 19 21:41:29 UTC 2006

    > Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:24:12 -0400
    > From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>

    > >Second, the questions:
    > >(a) Is there some easier way of recovering?  I think editing the
    > >    freqids to rearrange my channels might be relatively straightforward,
    > >    although an enormous hairball because there are about 20 channels
    > >    misplaced.  (If I hadn't flushed & re-updated, there would have
    > >    been fewer out of place, but...)

    > It's only 20 channels.  :)  Do it this way.

In fact, that's what I just did; it only took a few minutes.  Each
change apparently took effect instantly, the instant I hit "finish"
in the page for that channel, including being able to schedule a
recording on that channel and the program grid appearing correctly
both in the onscreen UI and in MythWeb, so I didn't even wind up
shutting down the backend to make the changes.

One channel is simply completely missing in my non-cable-box lineup
(it's in the lineup for cable boxes), but fortunately I don't watch
it.  If I -did-, I'm not sure how I could put it into the correct
lineup just using the channel editor. (Maybe just manually adding a
channel w/the relevant XMLTV ID, channel #, and freqid to the correct
video source in the channel editor?  It -is- in the lineup for cable
boxes, so I could uncheck it there and fetch its info when that lineup
gets fetched...  If so, I guess I could do the mix & match "virtual
lineup" I was talking about in my last message by hand-editing in the
channel editor; that might be a much more straightforward approach,
since the for-cable-boxes lineup seems to be almost always correct
immediately at zap2it, whereas the non-cable-box lineup typically lags
by months and has a lot of errors in it---for the same zipcode &
provider!  So if I can basically just push the cable-box-only channels
I watch (all 2 of them) into some made-up new lineup, and then use the
cable-box lineup as the source for my RF inputs, that would be
reasonable.)