[mythtv-users] Using MythTV without scheduling data (XMLTV or DataDirect), with a daily recurring recording schedule for known local channels.

Matt Harmon mattjharmon at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 21 17:04:06 UTC 2006

>Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 09:22:41 -0400
>From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Using MythTV without
> scheduling data (XMLTV or DataDirect), with a daily
> recurring recording schedule for known local
> channels.
>
>>On 07/20/2006 01:36 PM, Matt Harmon wrote:
>>
>>   I'm trying to determine if it is possible to use
>>MythTV box without a scheduling data feed to record
>>manually configured channels on a daily basis, with
>>multiple analog tuner card system.
>>
>>   The channels, start times and duration of the
>>programming I would like to record are all known and
>>could be provided as a "dummy" schedule. Or the data
>>could be entered into the database manually.
>>
>>   I've reviewed the mailing list archives and noted
>>that there have been some issues with this matter in
>>the past (manually scheduled recordings) though
>>in the context of attempting to schedule a manual
>>recording with a scheduling data feed in place.
>>
>>   I work for a company that can't afford to pay for

>>a commerical scheduling feed but has a need to
>>monitor local news coverage in a digital format. We
>>know when the broadcasts will occur and what
channels
>>they will be on. We're trying to determine if a
>>MythTV box will do the job.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any information you could
>>provide.
>>

>Wouldn't a digital VCR application be more
appropriate than Myth?

>Mike

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion...

A digital VCR application would probably work, but we
are looking to consolidate the function (of monitoring
up to five channels simultaneously) into a single box
that everyone can use and won't require daily media
changes. Also, the D-VCR applications that I've seen
so far are either text based on Linux (scheduling by
cron - sadly, I'm the only IT guy around and I would
prefer not be be stuck with scheduling requests) or
Windows based. The Windows based applications don't
appear to handle multiple cards.

A remote would be good, too.

At any rate, MythTV is so far in the lead of the
solutions we're examining. This is the last issue that
we need to clarify.

One extra point that I didn't make clear in my
original message, we have an analog cable feed.

Thanks again for any information (or alternate
applications/packages someone may know of),