[mythtv-users] mythweb feature request

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jul 9 13:02:46 UTC 2006

On 07/09/2006 05:14 AM, Christopher Friend wrote:
> i've set all my recordings to start 3 minutes early and 4 minutes late
> within the main mythfronend settings (give or take a second, no program has
> ever started before or ended after that amount for me). I scheduled some
> stuff yesterday to record one program from 5.45 to 6.00, another from 6.00
> to 7.00 and one from 7.00 to 8.00.
>
> because the 5.45 show actually recorded to 6.04, it auto cancelled the 6.00
> scheduled show (dashed box around it in mythweb).

OK, if you really set the time "within the main mythfron[t]end
settings", that's not what happened.  In frontend settings, there exist
two settings:

Time to record before start of show (in seconds)
This global setting allows the recorder to start before the scheduled
start time. It does not affect the scheduler. It is ignored when two
shows have been scheduled without enough time in between.

and

Time to record past end of show (in seconds)
This global setting allows the recorder to record beyond the scheduled
end time. It does not affect the scheduler. It is ignored when two shows
have been scheduled without enough time in between.

Notice, especially, the part that says, "It does not affect the
scheduler. It is ignored when two shows have been scheduled without
enough time in between."

The only way a frontend setting can affect a recording schedule is if
you set:

Default 'Start Early' minutes for new recording rules
Set this to '0' unless you expect that the majority of your show times
will not match your TV listings. This sets the initial start early or
start late time when rules are created. These can then be adjusted per
recording rule.

and/or

Default 'End Late' minutes for new recording rules
Set this to '0' unless you expect that the majority of your show times
will not match your TV listings. This sets the initial end late or end
early time when rules are created. These can then be adjusted per
recording rule.

in which case the setting isn't directly affecting the schedule, but,
instead, setting a default value for any new recording rules (that could
be changed when creating/editing the rule)--and the recording rule,
itself, affects the schedule.  So, unless you specified a start early
and end late value for the recording rules, things didn't happen the way
you think they did.

>  usually i can just start
> it manually after ending the first show early, but because i had the second
> show that had decided it really was going to record (because the 6.00
> wasn't), i then couldn't get the 6.00 show to start up again through mythweb
> after stopping the 5.45 show. i tried cancelling, manually setting to
> record, deleting the schedule and re adding it but nothing would make it
> work. i then tried going into "watch tv" and hitting "r" to record it
> manually, though i found out too late that that only recorded a blank
> screen.
>
> eventually i went into the schedule thing in mythfrontend to try and
> schedule the show to record, and was told something along the lines of "this
> show has been manually set to never record..." and i had to override that to
> get it to record itself.

It sounds like the show was set to never record (perhaps accidentally)
before it came time to record things...

Mike