[mythtv-users] mythtv .19.1 released?

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Sat Jul 8 16:59:05 UTC 2006

Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 09:25 -0700, Paul Bender wrote:
>
>>Not true. There is software version number and a package version number.
>

> Hrm.  As in the "0.19" and "4plf2007.0" in the package
> mythtv-0.19-4plf2007.0?
>

>>The package contains both, and an increase in either will cause the
>>package systems to say that the installed package is out of date. While
>>the myth software version number does not change when an updated fixes
>>patch is applied, then package version number does. As a result, the
>>software systems detect that the myth packages are out of date.
>

> ~sigh~  If you are referring to the "4plf2007.0" in the above, then this
> is a hack.  That portion of a package's version is reserved for
> "packaging" updates, not software version updates.  One is supposed to
> know exactly which software ("release") one has by looking at the number
> before the "package version".

-sigh- In any package, there is one main source tarball as well as many
patches to the main source tarball. Some of those patches are pulled
from or inclided in the upstream cvs/svn/git. One classic example of
this is the kernel package. The only thing you can know from the
software version number in the package is the version of the software
they started with before patching it.

If you check out the latest fixes branch it is still at version 0.19,
not 0.19.1. Therefore, packages based on the 0.19-fixes brach should
just be thought of a 0.19 to which the packager chose to apply a series
of patches. No different than what happens with every other package created.

>> ATrpms
>>has updated the fixes patch multiple times, each time incrementing the
>>package version number.
>

> So, how does an ATrpms user match what is installed on his system with a
> point in a  Changelog on the myth site, or how does he get a cvs
> (whoops, I mean svn for myth) checkout of exactly what's in his
> packages?  That is difficult because his package is not based on a
> release tag.

Just as with any package, you cannot tell what patches have been applied
without looking at the changelog. If you look at the changelog for the
ATrpms package, you will see the SVN version number to which he has
synced the fixes patch.