[mythtv-users] mythtv .19.1 released?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 17:06:25 UTC 2006

On 08/07/06, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 11:25 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> >
> > Time.
>
> The fixes are applied to the fixes branch as they come right?  So at any
> time aren't most recent fixes already applied just waiting for a package
> release?  Is that release not as simple as "make dist", "upload"?
>
> > Since most (all?) packagers are using 0.19-fixes,
>
> Hrm.  I have my doubts about this.  I think than any packagers that know
> what they are doing know that you cannot just keep re-releasing the same
> package (i.e. as in rpm) version with newer and newer code.  Package
> users will never see an upgrade.  The version number has to increment to
> get an upgrade.  Any I'd also hazard to guess most packages are not
> "inventing" point release numbers on their own.  Any "professional"
> packager is waiting for an official "upstream" release before they
> repackage.

You're obviously not a Fedora/Red Hat user then - this is exactly how
RPMs are released - a software version number (such as the kernel
2.6.17.1) and a separate build/release number (such as 2139 or 2141)
so that packaging tools can instantly tell when newer builds of the
same release are available. This applies from the Fedora Project, to
the super 3rd party repos such as Axel Thimm's atrpms.net, or those
repos under the RPMforge umbrella. I'd posit that these repos 'know
what they are doing'...

<snip>

> That I can't comment on.  I don't know what bug fixes are actually on
> the fixes branch and if any fix more than just a nuisance.

If you're ever interested you can see the list of updates to the
0.19-fixes branch here:

http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/log/branches/release-0-19-fixes

Axel/atrpms has made around 9 or so updates since the initial 0.19
release in February 2006 to incorporate the back-ports and fixes made
in SVN - latest is 0.19 build 129:

http://atrpms.net/dist/fc5/mythtv/mythtv-0.19-129.rhfc5.at.i386.rpm.html

Nick

--