[mythtv-users] possible p2p approach for mythtv information?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Jul 6 00:26:51 UTC 2006

Simon Kenyon wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 July 2006 21:14, Brad Templeton wrote:
>
>> I don't see this as a P2P app.  First of all, I suspect the vast majority
>> of Myth boxes are behind NAT and would not readily participate in a
>> P2P app.    Nor would you necessarily want to gather info by allowing
>> many thousands of machines to connect to you.
>>

> generating cutlists using some sort of p2p would seem to me to be the correct
> way to do it. after all, who is going to provide a central infrastructure?
> and for what gain?

I have a hard time even seeing the value of sharing this data.  Cutlists
are quite dependent on pre/post-roll, local commerical segments and many
other factors making it a losing battle to even collect valid
information and then, for what?  My commercial detection generates a
near perfect cut/skip-list for me within an hour of the completion of
the recording and I rarely have anything in my watch list for more than
days before it is watched and deleted.

Just seems much ado about nothing to me...

Kevin