[mythtv-users] possible p2p approach for mythtv information?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Jul 5 23:23:00 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 11:48:41PM +0100, Simon Kenyon wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 July 2006 21:14, Brad Templeton wrote:
> > I don't see this as a P2P app.  First of all, I suspect the vast majority
> > of Myth boxes are behind NAT and would not readily participate in a
> > P2P app.    Nor would you necessarily want to gather info by allowing
> > many thousands of machines to connect to you.
>
> generating cutlists using some sort of p2p would seem to me to be the correct
> way to do it. after all, who is going to provide a central infrastructure?
> and for what gain?

The central infrastructure is not that hard to do.  My recollect was that
Isaac not only said he would host such things, he might insist on hosting
them if the code goes into myth.

But how would you architect it P2P?  To work P2P, you need a body of people
who have opened up a port from the outside into their Myth box (something
frankly I would be wary of doing) and then a mechanism to somehow discover
other users who are publishing information on cut points.   Ideally you
would not want to connect to thousands of systems for every show so you
would want other systems to forward on what they have learned, but then
you have to figure out if you can trust them (they might be advertisers
trying to break the system) and that's a mess.    Everybody wants all
the same information on a given show, but can't trust random people to
provide other's information.  That cries out for a central db, or a complex
PKI.