[mythtv-users] possible p2p approach for mythtv information?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Jul 5 20:12:29 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 10:52:21AM +0200, tom roth wrote:
> On 04/07/06, Aaron Harwood <aharwood at aerosoul.com.au> wrote:
> >

> >So MythRatings may be the module that we are looking for.--a
> >

> I have been pondering a while on that one. And no, a rating system is not
> what i would be interested in.
> A rating system would give me the movies most people like (and already know
> about).
> So the result would be only mainstream films.
>
> OTOH with a recommendation system, that is based on collaborative filtering
> i might have a chance to catch some of the few truffles hidden in the sea of
> mediocre films.
>
> Example: when there is Terminator 3 and an old Jean-Luc Godard Film shown at
> the same time, i would want my system to record the Godard Movie.
> When it comes to feature films and documentaries the same would apply i
> think.
>
> But then this is just me. Or is it ?
> If anybody is still interested in this issue, i would suggest to continue
> the discusson under a more apropriate subject like "rating vs
> recommendation"

Yes, a collaborative filter system would be good, but I do not see MythTV
as the place to put it.  That's best done as a web site (and there have
been such web sites) and you would then pull the list of recommendations
out to put into myth or tvwish.    I think a web interface would be far,
far superior to a myth interface for working with such a database.  Most
people would rate movies from memory, not right after watching them.

Where a Myth interface makes sense is on non-movies (series episidoes and
specials) where chances are you would rate them right after seeing them.
Here a thumbs up/down or similar interface makes sense, though I would
still allow a web interface for non-myth folks to participate.