[mythtv-users] Bob2x with wobbling OSD even at 50 Hz

Jens Axboe mythtv-users at kernel.dk
Tue Jul 4 06:53:55 UTC 2006

(I'll reply to this one too, as it seems Tino and I have very similar
setups).

On Fri, Jun 30 2006, Tino Keitel wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 10:56:15 +0800, Indulis Bernsteins wrote:
> > Jens,
> >
> > 1) is there any reason you are using Bob?  I tried it and also found it to
> > flicker badly.  This was also reported in other places (can't remember
>
> I tested them all. For me, all other deinterlacers either look bad,
> have no smooth playback, or both.

Same here, only bob gets me a smooth playback, the others all look to
jerky.

> > where I read it!).  Try kernel - it has approx the same CPU usage as Bob,
> > and produces a much better result for me (I'm in Australia, 50Hz PAL).
>
> Intel Core Duo, so CPU is not my concern. It's just playback quality.

Same here, 2GHz Core Duo so plenty of horse power. It does HDTV playback
with 3/4ths of the system twiddling its thumbs.

> > 2) check that your video card TV out (if you are using composite or
> > s-video) is set to 50Hz if possible
>
> I use a TFT connected via DVI-D. I use a modeline that produces 50 Hz:
>
> Modeline "1680x1050_50.00" 120.21 1680 1776 1952 2224 1050 1051 1054 1081 -HSync +Vsync
>
> I checked with xvidtune and it shows "50 Hz".

Same here, but my modeline was tweaked to:

    Modeline "1280x720-50" 74.5 1280 1692 1736 1980 720 731 736 750
+hsync +vsync.

That should give me just a smidgen above 50.0Hz.

> > 3) check to make sure that your TV is not also trying to deinterlace
>
> It's an ordinary computer TFT with a 1680x1050 resolution.

Mine is an LCD TV, so the same as well.

> > I find that if I am viewing on a high-resolution screen (compuoter
> > monitor), then I use kernel and quickdnr as filters.  If I am viewing on
>
> I use DVB, so ther is no point in using quickdnr AFAIK.

Ditto, DVB SDTV and HDTV.

--
Jens Axboe