[mythtv-users] possible p2p approach for mythtv information?

Aaron Harwood aharwood at aerosoul.com.au
Mon Jul 3 14:59:22 UTC 2006

On 04/07/2006, at 12:03 AM, tom roth wrote:

> The idea of sharing other information has been discussed in the past
> on thsi list also, and I think one of the major problems would be
> ensuring people don't screw up the data (possibly deliberatly).  For
> example, someone could flag part of a programme as a commercial, which
> would effect everyone who relies on that data.
>
> Cheers,
> Whytey
>

> For cutlist info you are probably right, but what i came up with
> recently is trusted networks for recommendations on recordings.
> Think of it as gnus (the emacs newsreader) for videos.
>
> This could work as follows:
> Configure MythRecommendation to use a reserved part of your
> strorage (basicaly a quota).
> Until this quota is reached mythtv would start recording any
> recomendations it  gets.
> Next a ruleset will give weight to the recommendating person, the
> channel, keywords in the titel etc.. based by your behaviour or
> explicit settings.
>
> When you delete a recording without watching it 5 points are taken
> from the person, 2 from the channel, 1 from the keywords, whatever.
> When you  do a cutlist on the recording  points are added to
> person , channel ...
> When you archive the movie even more points are given.
> After a while you should find interesting recordings, that you
> would have missed  otherwise.
>
> what do you think ?

Sounds to me like you are creating "networks of interest" or
"interest groups" since not everyone has the same viewing
preferences and people with similar viewing interests would naturally
reinforce each others recommendations. The
basic interest groups would be those that receive the same service,
i.e. the same broadcasts (since it does not make
any sense to take a recommendation for a recording that is not even
being broadcast in my area).

For arguments sake I'm assuming that my own recording selections
automatically become recommendations for others,
as a default setting. To add some spice, it would be good for me to
receive feedback, i.e. if my recommendation is
not accepted by other peers then I should be notified of this, and
similarly if it is archived. This would allow me to not
broadcast recommendations that are known to be unacceptable, thus
reducing traffic (i.e. rather than be dropped at
the other end).

You'd need sensible ways of dealing with conflicts (i.e. there are
limited inputs available and like many recommendations
that cover many more channels than available inputs) and with spam
recommendations. Negative reinforcement can
eliminate a given IP address but spam will likely use fake IP
addresses that could flood the incoming recommendations
with faulty or biased data. I guess you are suggesting a ranking
scheme that admits high ranking recommendations over
low ones. But then this makes it harder for newer and odd
recommendations to enter  the system. There is a trade off
that would be interesting to explore.

I like it. What approach would the interconnectivity/peer discovery
take? Gnutella? Napster? something else?

-a

PS>I'm sure that the broadcasters would love to know what people are
recording! No doubt they would have a peer in
the system as well, monitoring what is being recorded! (or at least,
what people are recommending to record)