[mythtv-users] MythTV and TV

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 31 23:15:00 UTC 2006

yan seiner wrote:
> R. G. Newbury wrote:
>

>> You cannot just change the Input Connection if the Source is a different
>> type.
>> The order in which things are done in mythtv-setup is slightly
>> misleading in that a user can infer that the *card* is the most
>> important part of the process. Actually the *lineup* is the most important.
>> The channel lineup, at least for North American users, will
>> differentiate among cable, cable digital and broadcast.  Labs.zap2it.com
>> will allow you ONE lineup of each of those types. Each of those has
>> different connotations:  'cable' runs from 2 to 71 or so,
>> 'cable-digital' has "channel numbers" which run up to 999 I guess, but
>> the frequencies involved are all actually the same range as 'cable' but
>> with subchannels. Broadcast can be analog or digital. Broadcast digital
>> is handled in a similar manner to cable-digital, but the numbering
>> scheme is different.
>>
>> Cards handle either analog or digital streams (NTSC or ATSC),  BUT NOT
>> BOTH AT THE SAME TIME.
>>
>> That differentiation also determines what tuning information ( a 'tuning
>> set') that mythtv sends to the card. Changing the information in mythtv,
>> without any change to the lineup can produce a useless tuning set. I
>> don't know what your card is, but if you are using an HD level (ATSC)
>> card for OTA, then no wonder it will not work properly if you tell the
>> card (through myth) that it should tune as if the input were a cable
>> channel. Although transmission frequencies are the same for analog
>> broadcast and analog cable channels and the underlying frequency may be
>> the same for an HD digital broadcast, the manner in which the card
>> abstracts the digital stream is quite different for a digital broadcast.
>> To get an analog stream (channel 9 not channel 9_1) needs an analog
>> module setup. ( For the pcHD3000, you use cx88_dvb for ATSC, and cx8800
>> for NTSC).
>>
>> Digital broadcast is not the same thing as Analog broadcast and requires
>> not only a different kernel module for the card but also a different
>> setup in myth even if the lineup is still the same.
>>
>> Note also, that if the lineup type remains the same, you will run into
>> problems if that lineup includes both analog and digital channels, since
>> myth does not actually know that a card cannot do both. You must set up
>> lineup <-> card pairings where that card can actually tune all of the
>> channels in that lineup. So a PVR500 should never be paired against a
>> cable-digital lineup or a broadcast lineup which includes digital
>> channels: it cannot tune those channels. Similarly, a pcHD3000 should
>> not be paired with a lineup which includes analog channels unless the
>> card is set up to use an analog tuning module...
>>
>> And as far as I can tell, you cannot switch modules, 'on-the-fly' while
>> myth is running, since myth checks each input card on startup, and would
>> fail when it did not find the 'other' type of input.

> [...]
Yes you can use both cards 'simultaneously', meaning that both will be
in the box and you can use one or the other. I have a PVR500 card and an
HD3000 card. I switch between them, for LiveTV with the 'Y' key on the
keyboard. Setting up the digital is tricky but not insurmountable. You
have to have a good setup for the default channel in mythtv-setup or you
will never get the digital card working.
For recording, myth just selects a card which can tune the requested
channel. In the case of the PVR500, it has a choice of 2 for analog
cable channels.

Geoff

--
       R. Geoffrey Newbury