[mythtv-users] SOLVED - PiP not working 'till after record

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jan 31 19:50:49 UTC 2006

Well "solved" might be mis-leading, I have in fact solved the
problem, but only by replacing my PVR-350 with another PVR-150.

I first tried simply swapping the 150 and the 350 cards, which
resulted in not being able to watch TV at all until a recording had
been made, trying to do so resulted in "remote encoder not
responding" and "bad socket" type errors. As long as I made a
recording with the card first everything was OK.

So I now have two 150s and an HD-3000 card installed, as well as IVTV
0.4.2. ivtv-detect shows everything recognized properly, and the
syslog shows everything proper on bootup, but it did that previously
when I was having the problems.

So I conclude that one of the following is probably true:

A:) Something in MythTV is missing some setup parameter for the 350
card in "watching TV mode", which seems to get set properly by
recording with the card and stay that way.

B:) Something in MythTV does not like having two different PVR cards
installed (I guess the test would be to try 2 350s but I'm not going
to do that).

C:) IVTV 0.4.2 has some sort of problem with a 350 card.

D:) I need to see my Doctor and get my medication adjusted.

I'm leaning towards "D".

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org