[mythtv-users] connecting mythbox to HD tv -- dvi->hdmi or vga->component

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Tue Jan 31 19:33:59 UTC 2006

I think all PC video cards are DVI-I, which is DVI-D plus a few analog
pins from which you can extract VGA with a cheap cable.  All DVI inputs
should be DVI-D exclusive, because an analog DVI input doesn't make
sense.  If you're going to have an analog in, it should be component or
VGA.  DVI-I was designed to make PC video cards reverse compatible with
analog VGA monitors, to ease the transition.

Is this correct?  Anyone?  I'm not taking the time to verify on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvi

Gabe Rubin wrote:
> OK, great.  I will look for component out on a 5200, didnt even
> realize that existed.  If I do go with dvi, should I look into dvi-d
> or dvi-i or does that make a difference?
>
> The reason I am inclined to go digital is because I suffer from a
> ground loop issue.  I see a faint scroll on the tv with my current
> setup (pvr-350 out) and a hum with my windows box audio plugged in.  I
> picked up a new setup that has sp/dif out, I assume that will take
> care of the hum, and DVI I assume will take care of the scroll.

Thank you for your time,
--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

I may have missed the answer there, in which case, please point out the article to me, but don't say "check forum X."

Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet products.  Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer & Outlook/Outlook Express.