[mythtv-users] connecting mythbox to HD tv -- dvi->hdmi or vga- >component

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Jan 31 19:17:12 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 10:59, Preston Crow wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 10:51 -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 31 January 2006 10:31, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> > > I am upgrading my myth box, and will get some sort of geforce card to
> > > output to my hdtv.  My tv can take component or hdmi inputs.  My
> > > preference would be to get a geforce card with dvi out and then get a
> > > dvi->hdmi cable to run it properly as I would like to avoid paying an
> > > extra $100 for a vga->component converter.
> >
> > Heh, DVI->HDMI cables aren't cheap either...
>
> Huh?  Mine were something like $14 a year ago, and I see them under $5
> on Froogle now.  Sure, stores always put a huge mark-up on cables,
> because they're not the competitively advertised items.

Never actually researched these particular cables, but did see some at a local
Best Buy that were in the neighborhood of $100. Of course, that was like a
6ft, gold-plated, and always-over-priced Monster brand one. Didn't know they
were *that* cheap elsewhere.

> > > My questions are:
> > > 1) will this be decent quality?
> >
> > If it works, it'll be pretty much the best quality you can possibly get.
> > My DVI->DVI setup is gorgeous.
>
> Yup.  However, with DVI, you can't do modeline tricks to create modes
> without overscan.  That's a real pain for me with Mythgame.

If its DVI-D with the proper modeline, I believe there shouldn't be any
overscan. At least, there isn't on my set. X fits the display absolutely
perfectly.

> > > 2) is this even possible with HDCP issues?
> >
> > Depends on your TV.
>
> It shouldn't be an issue.  HDCP is supposed to be optional on the
> receiving end.

May not be HDCP-specific, but there are TVs that don't play nice with
computers. Most new ones ought to be fine though.

> > > 3) can someone recommend a good cheap card that will handle this,
> > > preferably fanless that fits into a AGP slot.  Keep in mind, I want to
> > > HD playback.
> >
> > A GeForce FX 5200 is more than enough.
>
> In fact, if you check the archives, you'll see that a 5200 isn't just
> enough, it's generally the best option at any price.  The 6xxx and up
> cards use different acceleration techniques that aren't fully supported
> by the video playback software, so you actually get the best performance
> with a 5200.

I'm using a 6200 right now, used to use a 5200, but it didn't have a DVI
output. I do have a 5200 w/DVI now though, so I might have to compare the
5200 to the 6200...

> But there's another option that wasn't mentioned.  I've noticed that
> some video cards now have component video output, so you don't need a
> VGA converter.  If you can find a 5200 with component output and DVI
> output, that would be the perfect card, as you could use component if
> you need to do modeline tricks, or you can use DVI to avoid going to
> analog.

I believe the component outputs were introduced in the GeForce 6 series.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com