[mythtv-users] connecting mythbox to HD tv -- dvi->hdmi or vga->component

Phill Wiggin wigginp at mantech-wva.com
Tue Jan 31 19:00:56 UTC 2006

Gabe Rubin wrote:

>I am upgrading my myth box, and will get some sort of geforce card to
>output to my hdtv.  My tv can take component or hdmi inputs.  My
>preference would be to get a geforce card with dvi out and then get a
>dvi->hdmi cable to run it properly as I would like to avoid paying an
>extra $100 for a vga->component converter.
>
>My questions are:
>1) will this be decent quality?
>2) is this even possible with HDCP issues?
>3) can someone recommend a good cheap card that will handle this,
>preferably fanless that fits into a AGP slot.  Keep in mind, I want to
>HD playback.
>
>Thanks!

Just a quick datapoint.  I just installed a cheap nvidia FX5200 card *
(http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814125191) with a
DVI->HDMI converter ($13 from some random seller on Amazon).  So far,
I've got it working nicely on my JVC 56G786
(http://www.tvauthority.com/DILA-and-LCOS-TVs/JVC-HD-56G786.asp) .  I'm
using the latest 6629ish version of the nvidia driver from portage
(Gentoo) at present.

I was able to get a nice picture using Jarod's generic modeline from :
http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/mythhd.php

ModeLine "960x540p" 37.26 960 976 1008 1104 540 542 548 563 +hsync +vsync

I'm still working on testing the HDness of my setup.

Found some HD test patterns at: http://www.w6rz.net/

So, it works for me (YMMV).  I _do_ have a problem with overscan.  The
TV has a good bit of overscan both during bootup and inside of X.  I'll
be playing with modelines to get it fixed in X, but I haven't seen any
way to fix the console overscan.

* The card is 1/2 height (low-profile), but doesn't come with the
low-profile bracket. I had to reuse one from an old 1/2 height card.

Hope some of this helps,

--Phill W.