[mythtv-users] Scheduler issues related to plus one channels

Graeme Hilton graeme.hilton at fishter.org.uk
Tue Jan 31 11:19:09 UTC 2006

On Mon, 30 January, 2006 12:10 am, Nick wrote:
> On 28/01/06, Graeme Hilton <graeme.hilton at fishter.org.uk> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Perhaps this is one for the wish-list.
>>
>> Here in the UK (and probably everywhere else!) we have a few channels
>> that follow another channel by one hour.  For example E4 and E4+1.
>>
>> Unfortunately when mythfilldatabase grabs new data from the Radio Times
>> website there are often differences in title, subtitle and description
>> between the two channels.  When there are scheduled recordings on these
>> channels I often end up with several recordings of the same program, no
>> matter the setting of the duplicate detection.
>>
>> Would it be useful to be able to define a channel as being a copy of
>> another channel, plus an offset?  In this way Myth should be able to
>> more effectively detect duplicate recordings.  It might also have the
>> side-effect of making shorter download times for listings updates!
>>
>> Perhaps this could be incorporated into channel setup with a dialog to
>> allow the user to select a channel and an offset.  This data can be
>> stored in the database (channels table).  When Myth checks the schedules
>> it can "create" a virtual channel to display in the epg, use when
>> calculating conflicts etc....
>
> Graeme,
>
> I've not posted on this particular topic before but have thought the
> same for quite a while. it's another feature that mythfilldatabase
> could certainly use (my real bugbear is the lack of an option to allow
> a single source file to be used for mutliple sources in a single hit).
> I think it would be extremely useful to be able to create and mark
> channels as being timeshifted versions of existing ones (not just +1hr
> as there is FX+2 for instance). As you suggest, you could reuse the
> same listings for each 'copy' to negate the problems of the listings
> providers having slightly differing descriptions, and also get faster
> channel updates as a result. There is also the problem (I existed
> until recently for More4+1 using uk_rt - I need to send the updates
> for the grabber for the new channels just added!) that listings for +1
> channels are not available - so this solution would have multiple
> benefits.
>
> Nick

Here's a very nasty MySQL hack that gets the desired result, but does
nothing to alter mythfilldatabase behaviour.

DELETE FROM program
 WHERE `chanid`=**INSERT +1 chanid**;
INSERT INTO program
 SELECT **INSERT +1 chanid** as `chanid`,addtime(starttime,'01:00:00' ) AS
starttime, addtime( endtime, '01:00:00' ) AS endtime, title, subtitle,
description, category, category_type, airdate, stars, previouslyshown,
title_pronounce, stereo, subtitled, hdtv, closecaptioned, partnumber,
parttotal, seriesid, originalairdate, showtype, colorcode,
syndicatedepisodenumber, programid, manualid, generic
 FROM `program`
 WHERE `chanid` =**INSERT original chanid**;

I run it manually from the mysql prompt.  I suppose it could be cronned to
run after mythfilldatabase, to catch any late changes to the schedule.

Maybe I'll work on something to patch in the scheduler code.
<dusts off C++ programming manual....>

--
Graeme Hilton