[mythtv-users] importing channels.conf

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 03:00:47 UTC 2006

On 1/30/06, Dylan R. Semler <dsemler at macalester.edu> wrote:

> Steven Adeff wrote:
>
> > On 1/30/06, *Dylan R. Semler* <dsemler at macalester.edu
> > <mailto:dsemler at macalester.edu>> wrote:
> >
> >     I recently used an ad-hoc and ugly channel scanning method that I
> came
> >     up with that found 60 digital channels, most of which were not
> >     HD.  When
> >     I use mythtv's scanning tool, it only finds about 7, all of which
> are
> >     HD.  The other digital channels are of much better quality than my
> >     analog feed so I was wondering if there was a standard way to import
> >     large amount of channels into the database.  I've made a
> channels.conf
> >     file and formatted it with all of the channels that I want to
> import.
> >
> >     I'm a bit doubtful that there is a way to do this automatically as I
> >     can't even seem to find a way to add a single digital channel.  In
> >     mythtv-setup there is an option to add a channel, but this seems
> >     to only
> >     work for analog channels where there is only one channel/frequency
> >     (i.e.
> >     I found no where to add info about the different subchannels of the
> >     frequency).  I've seen ways to add channels through mysql (i
> believe)
> >     but I know nothing about mysql and it looked very tedious if I was
> >     going
> >     to have to do that for all 53 channels that myth didn't find.
> >
> >     And before you ask, I did uncheck the "free to air channels only"
> >     box in
> >     the mythtv-setup before the scan.
> >
> >     Dylan
> >

> > Wiki entry of Jason Beck's guide-
> >
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Adding_QAM_Channels_For_HDTV_Tuner_Cards
> > <
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Adding_QAM_Channels_For_HDTV_Tuner_Cards
> >

> > --
> > Steve
>
> Thanks for the link.  One minor thing.  The wiki page only talks about
> modifying existing channels in the mysql database.  Since myth only
> found 7 HD channels and I need a total of 60, I will have to add my own
> entries into the channel table.  I can figure out what most of the
> fields should be but I don't know what to put for two of them.  For the
> chanid, can I just use any number that's not used for another channel or
> does this need to correspond to something in some other table or
> somewhere else?  Also, what should be put for the atscsrcid entries?

I have to do the same, create my own channel tables, Myth finds none of my
channels, so I actually have to create all the table information by hand.

chanid is, on my system, a 4 digit number, the first is the sourceid, the
next three are the actual channel number. I'm using QAM via my cable, so I
just use the channel the cable company uses.
atscsrcid seems random to me, I don't know how it normally gets populated or
if its used for anything.

--
Steve