[mythtv-users] Can MythTV do this?

Sasha Z kleptophobiac at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 22:35:19 UTC 2006

If I were a C wizkid I'd rewrite the backend - keeping the scheduler
but nuking most of everything else. You would have to have some form
of QoS to make sure people don't monopolize the backend system. You
also couldn't see schedules that you hadn't set, to prevent privacy
issues. If two or more people schedule the same thing - then that's
great, one less stream to record. People would be able to grant each
other the right to view their personal stored content. It can be a
simple question, "With whom would you like to share this recording?
<Everybody> <My friends> <Only myself>" I would also suggest more
processing power per backend (4x dual core cpu's perhaps?) in order to
run h.264 encoding to save storage space and network bandwidth. The
clients would multicast to each other in order to save backend
bandwidth.

The frontend would be rewritten from scratch to be way simpler. It
would not be extensible - it would only let you select recorded videos
based on category and then show. Recording selection would be based
only on a program guide and not a list or a search or anything fancy
doodle like that.

Storage would be on a farm of IDE machines with hardware RAID5 setups
- a good mix of bandwidth and storage cheapness. They would be
allocated through NFS and storage would be load balanced across the
farm to avoid congestion - don't record all of the hot primetime shows
on one server.