[mythtv-users] Can MythTV do this?

Matthew Geier matthew at sleeper.apana.org.au
Mon Jan 30 19:59:53 UTC 2006

Kevin Kuphal wrote:

>>>Can MythTV be used to feed say, an apartment complex of 300 suites? What
>>>type of hardware could be used? How many backend servers would be needed?

  Myth is probably the wrong thing - depends on how much
'video on demand' vs Live TV I guess.

  I'm using VLC at work to multicast stream 4 DVB cards and approx 11
channels onto our LAN using multicast. Using vlc as the client as well,
selecting the program to watch using the SAP playlist.

  vlc is probably more appropriate for the backend here.

  What you need is to use Myth as a front end to the multicasts, some
how replacing the tuner code with a multicast listener, then each user
has their own scheduler, etc and use some sort of NAS possibly for their
recordings storage.