[mythtv-users] uc: Strange DVB Kernel Signal loss

Barker Thomas TBARKER at qinetiq.com
Mon Jan 30 10:18:16 UTC 2006

Hi I have been running FC3 quite stabily for a long time, this weekend I
decide it wont be hard to start again and use FC4 this time instead.

Oh how wrong am i! I have FC4 all up and running to the stage that FC3 once
was. However I have noticed this strangeness:

In FC3 I was using kernel 2.6.11.x, my dvb card in myth would do a full scan
with no multiplex prior listed and pick up all channels

In FC4 using kernel 2.6.14, my dvb card wont do a full scan, it fails
tuning, if I add multiplexs manually and scan those (ie ones from FC3 db)
then it will pick up most channels but fails to tune 2 multiplexs.

In FC4 if I boot using kernel 2.6.11, I can now tune these 2 multiplexs as
well. Eh?

Is it me or is there a weird issue in the newer kernels relating to DVB. I
tried kernel 2.6.15 (from fc4 testing) and I also tried compiling CVS
DVB/V4L modules against 2.6.14. none of this worked either.

How come I am loosing signal by changing kernels?

Now I would just revert back to using 2.6.11, but support packages for this
kernel are long gone, ie nvidia-kmdl and I don't want to use the nvidia
installer.

Does anyone have any ideas?

BTW my system is:

2600+ sempron

XCube

½ gig ram

Nova-T SAA7xxx

Thanks

Tom

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information
is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Emails and other electronic communication with QinetiQ may be monitored.
Calls to QinetiQ may be recorded for quality control,
regulatory and monitoring purposes.