[mythtv-users] Guide data setup for mixed ATSC/QAM & NTSC backend? Multiple xmltv feeds needed?

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 18:59:05 UTC 2006

I am trying to clean up my MythTV configuration a bit.  Part of that effort
is to use a single Zap2it / xmltv guide account, so I can deal with the
expiration less frequently (with two, it seems like it's always expiring).
I have four tuners, all hooked to my cable TV connection.  The two SD tuners
(PVR-500 card) can record all the analog channels (2-63).  The two ATSC/QAM
tuners can record the handful of HD channels (79,116,117;  which breaks out
into five visible HD channels), and cannot do SD (at least not as I have it
set up.  I wouldn't want them to do SD anyway, as they don't have MPEG
encoders.)

But, with my config now, it seems that MythTV doesn't know the difference
between the channel types, and tries to record SD with the HD tuner, and HD
with the SD tuner.  I have the TV format set to ATSC on my HD channels, and
I was hoping that would allow MythTV to associate those channels with the HD
capable tuners.

I'm sure others have this same setup.  What is the recommended "best
practice" for associating channels/guide data with the best tuner card?
Must I go back to my config with two guide sources, each limited to the
relevant stations the tuners can receive?

Thanks for any input.