[mythtv-users] Network Device Failure.....

John Nelson pacer-myth at hordenet.org
Sun Jan 29 06:29:49 UTC 2006

Hail Fellow Myth-folk,

I just finally got a system up and running.  I had some issues and then
ran out of time until Christmas holidays.

I am not having problems, however, where the network card for the
backend seems to cease working.  The lights on the switch it is
connected to stop blinking or even being lit.  I can not hit the outside
world with the web browser or any other network tool.

It seems to do this when I am streaming video.  It does not do it all
the time, but more than enough to be a major nuisance.

I am beginning to think I need a separate network card.  The problem?  I
have 3 Hauppage 150s for tuner cards, and only 3 PCI slots.

If anyone has experienced this, or can point me in a good direction, I
would appreciate any help.  I am wondering if I should look into
alternatives to a pci network card -- maybe a USB or PCMCIA card?

The network device I have is onboard the VIA motherboard.  (That Via
board was cheap, so I got what I paid for ...)

Have fun!

Sincerely,
John W. Nelson