[mythtv-users] nuxexport - export to iPod

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 02:40:15 UTC 2006

Chris,

I'm excited to see that some of the iPod settings have been put into
nuvexport.  However, it's disabled because it says "Your ffmpeg
installation doesn't support encoding to mov file formats."  I've
configured ffmpeg to build with x264, isn't that the proper format?
Any other ideas?

Also, I wanted to add this... just because I think it could be
relavent to making sure that anything encoded for the video iPod meets
the correct standards:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/the-complete-guide-to-ipod-video-formats-and-display-resolutions/

Quote:

Apple publicly says that the iPod has the following video limitations:

H.264 MPEG-4
Maximum Resolution 320x240 480x480
Maximum Bitrate 768 kbps 2500 kbps
Maximum Framerate 30 fps 30 fps

However, the company has actually simplified the iPod's real
limitations to make them easier for people to understand. Many users
have discovered that while the bitrate limits above appear to be
absolute, the resolutions are not. Rather, they observed that the
equivalent number of total pixels appeared to be the practical limit
for both H.264 and MPEG-4 - 76,800 and 230,400, respectively. Like
Apple's own numbers, these pixel limits are useful and simple ways to
make sure your files run properly, but these numbers are not
technically correct, either.

Rather, the correct limit can be stated as follows:

For H.264, you're allowed 300 square blocks of pixels (called
"macroblocks"), 16 pixels on a side. For MPEG-4, you're allowed 900.

The widely-published "total pixel limits" for H.264 and MPEG-4 will
indeed work in most cases, but not always, and macroblocks yield the
right numbers. For example, an MPEG-4 video of dimensions 725 x 315
has less than 230,400 pixels, but 920 macroblocks. Such a file would
be incompatible with the iPod.

For reference, here are a few resolutions that satisfy the maximum
macroblock limits at various video aspect ratios:

H.264
480x160
432x176
400x192