[mythtv-users] Scheduler issues related to plus one channels

Graeme Hilton graeme.hilton at fishter.org.uk
Sat Jan 28 23:03:58 UTC 2006

All,

Perhaps this is one for the wish-list.

Here in the UK (and probably everywhere else!) we have a few channels
that follow another channel by one hour.  For example E4 and E4+1.

Unfortunately when mythfilldatabase grabs new data from the Radio Times
website there are often differences in title, subtitle and description
between the two channels.  When there are scheduled recordings on these
channels I often end up with several recordings of the same program, no
matter the setting of the duplicate detection.

Would it be useful to be able to define a channel as being a copy of
another channel, plus an offset?  In this way Myth should be able to
more effectively detect duplicate recordings.  It might also have the
side-effect of making shorter download times for listings updates!

Perhaps this could be incorporated into channel setup with a dialog to
allow the user to select a channel and an offset.  This data can be
stored in the database (channels table).  When Myth checks the schedules
it can "create" a virtual channel to display in the epg, use when
calculating conflicts etc....

I'm not familiar with the mythtv codebase, so please let me know if this
has been suggested before, or if this is just a silly idea!

Cheers,

Graeme Hilton