[mythtv-users] OpenGL Support and PiP

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat Jan 28 21:00:43 UTC 2006

On Saturday 28 January 2006 11:19, Brian Wood wrote:
> With my previous incarnation of MythTV PiP worked just fine. Due to
> hardware problems I have had to re-build and things are mostly
> working now, but PiP is not.
>
> The only differences (that I'm aware of) are a newer kernel, newer
> version of LIRC (shouldn't matter), and the fact that I have compiled
> MythTV without OpenGL support. This was due to high CPU load when
> watching live TV. Originally I solved this by commenting out "load
> glx" in my X config, but this time I took some "advice" and simply
> compiled without OpenGL. My CPU load is now reasonable even with glx
> loaded.

Uh, why recompile to disable OpenGL, when you can simply toggle it off in the
settings?

> Before I re-compile MythTV with OpenGL support in an effort to
> resolve this problem, does it make sense that this could have
> anything to do with it? Itdoesn't make real sense to me but I'm
> running out of ideas :-)
>
> Any other ideas as to what might make PiP mal-function?

nVidia driver version change, possibly.

> Gentoo linux, 2.6.15, amd64, plenty of storage and RAM
> MythTV 0.18.1
> IVTV 0.4.2
> LIRC 0.8.0_pre3
> PVR-150, PVR-350, HD-3000
> nVidia 5700 video card

What nVidia driver are you using? The latest one results in pegged cpus on
playback for some folks, while 7676 works just fine. Though I dunno if 7676
compiles against 2.6.15 w/o patching...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com