[mythtv-users] KDE logs out immediately after logging in

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jan 28 18:43:03 UTC 2006

On Jan 28, 2006, at 11:35 AM, Derek Scollon wrote:

> I suspect this is a problem with KDE rather than Mythtv, but I was
> hoping maybe one of you could point me in the right direction to
> start debugging this.
>
> I built a Mythtv box using FC3 about a year ago and followed the
> Fedora HOWTO, including the step to log into KDE and start the
> Mythtv frontend automatically after booting up. This worked
> faultlessly until I recently moved house. I've finally got around
> to setting the box up again (I believe) in the same way as before.
> Now after booting, I am presented with a KDE login screen. After
> entering the login, I am immediately thrown back to the login
> screen. I know the login details are correct because if I enter
> wrong details, I get a message telling me they're wrong.
>
> Any idea what would be causing KDE to immediately log out after
> logging in like this? I haven't included many specifics here
> because I'm not sure what specifics are relevant to this problem,
> so just ask if you need more detail. I'm mystified what has
> happened when apparently nothing has changed except my home address.

You obviously haven't been made aware of the "region locking" the
MPAA has imposed on KDE, since it has heard that KDE can play DVDs.

Just kidding.

Are you being presented with a graphical KDE login? If you can get
back to booting into text mode, then starting KDE with "startx", you
can then see what messages KDE is giving you when you try to start it.

You could also check the appropriate log files, but the above method
is more likely to spot your problems.

Normally if you start in text mode you would have a ".xinitrc" file
in your home directory, the contents of which is "exec startkde", I'm
not sure how you are starting kde.

You are correct, however, this is a kde or system problem, not a
MythTV one.