[mythtv-users] Mythtv rebooting system

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jan 28 15:38:11 UTC 2006

On Jan 28, 2006, at 8:35 AM, Nathan A. Smith wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-01-28 at 09:10 -0500, Dewey Smolka wrote:
>>> Not looking at your logs, just from past experience...  Anytime I
>>> have
>>> behavior like you've described, it was either due to a poor power
>>> supply or an IRQ conflict.
>>
>> Have a look also at your CPU fan -- if it's not properly fixed to the
>> chip that can cause overheating and automatic shutdown/reboot.
> Thanks for the hint,
>
> but I am sure overheating of the cpu isn't the issue.  I can run
> the box
> for days (I have) and not have it reboot.  It only happens when I try
> running TV...

Wish I had a nickel for every time I was "sure" of something like that.

MythTV pushes the CPU more than most programs. It is quite possible
that you  could idle along for weeks with no problem and then have
something CPU-intensive cause a heat-related problem in minutes.

Not that I am saying that is your problem, just making a point :-)