[mythtv-users] New to mythtv, need help

Bill Baker bill_chris at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 26 20:23:54 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 08:02 -0600, David Schmidt wrote:
> On 1/25/06, Bill Baker <bill_chris at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 08:02 -0600, David Schmidt wrote:
> [snip]
> > > 1)  The 350 *can* output sound (use the red/white RCA plugs on the
> > > svideo adapter cable that should have come with it--make sure it is
> > > plugged into svideo out, not svideo in).
> >
> > I have it connected to the VID/AUD port on the back of my pvr-350.  Is
> > that what you meant?
>
> Hmmm.  Yours seems labelled differently in your documentation than
> mine.  I got documentation that looks like here:
> http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/manuals/qi-pvrpci-150250350.pdf
>
> Looking at the diagram of the back of the card on that URL, I was
> referring to the "A/V Output connector."  In any case, thinking about
> it now, as long as you're using the Svideo/triple RCA adapter and
> you're getting menus **ON THE TV**, I can't imagine you don't have it
> in the right port.

Yeah, I have the same documentation as the above URL.  It's just that
the back of my card labels the A/V Output connector as "VID/AUD".

> > > 3)  Also in this case, only live and recorded TV will have sound
> > > MythMusic and most, if not all MythVideos will be silent (and
> > > MythGame, if you use that).
> >
> > Again, not a problem for me, but wouldn't the sound go out through the
> > TV anyway?
>
> It will if you do the loopback I mentioned in [4].  The non-TV apps
> only talk to a sound card.  They don't know how to talk to the 350's
> audio decoder.

OK, I see.

> > Thanks for your reply.  It was very helpful.  Have you experienced the
> > black screen when you choose "Watch TV"?  That's the major problem I've
> > encountered.  All other problems are merely secondary to that one.
>
> Nope, video worked from day 1.  Had no audio at first, but that was a
> problem with it actually being muted in the card.  testioctl fixed it
> right up.  [If anyone hits this in the archives looking for the same
> problem, search for "pvr 350 audio testioctl"].
>
> If you can get TV audio and/or video in any other way (xawtv, dd
> if=/dev/video0 of=/dev/video16, whatever), I'm stumped.

xawtv just gives me a black screen, as well.  dd just sits there and
does nothing until I hit Ctrl-C.  When I hit Ctrl-C, it gives me
something like:
16866+27 records in
16879+0 records out

> If you can't get video in any way (looking back over your posts I
> don't see one), I'd check that you don't accidentally have the antenna
> on the FM input instead of the TV one (see the documentation URL
> above) and, if it's not that, try to find a windoze box to slap it in
> to make sure you don't have a defective card.

During setup, while I was following the instructions on wilsonet.com, I
was actually able to get the TV out to work.  But ever since I switched
the screen over to the TV, I can't get anything but a black screen.