[mythtv-users] Problems with video from Haug. pvr-500

Nathan A. Smith nasa01 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 26 12:03:09 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 19:30 -0700, Nathan A. Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 22:41 +0100, Marius Schrecker wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have setup my myth box (an Athlon 1800+, 756Meg Memory, 100G+
> > > Harddrive space, nic, and the afore mentioned pvr-500).  Everything
> > > seems to run, but I only get static on "Tuner 4" and a very poor picture
> > > (if I get one) on "tuner 6".  I have coax and composite cables attached
> > > to the main card, I don't have the daughter card installed.  When I look
> > > at "tuner status" it shows:
> > >
> > > tuner 1: not available
> > > tuner 2: not available
> > > tuner 4: not recording
> > > tuner 6: not recording
> > >
> > > I followed the instructions off of mythtv.org and placed to tuner
> > > devices:
> > >
> > > /dev/video0 & /dev/video1
> > >
> > > I also assigned video sources to both tuners (although there wasn't any
> > > named tuner0 or tuner1 -- just 2 lines of tuner) and both composite
> > > lines (both 0 & 1).
> >
> > The PVR-500 is seen by ivtv as two 150's, each with one tuner. Prior to
> > ivtv4.1 these were both called tuner0, but >=4.1 they have been renamed
> > just tuner, so your two lines of "tuner" are correct. I don't understand
> > how you have 6 tuners with one pvr 500 (or have I missed something?).
> >
> > Marius
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for all the replies!
>
> I did what morten suggested, removed all the previous device setups and
> redid them.  I now have,
>
> /dev/v4l/video0
> /dev/v4l/video1
>
> my list of input connections is:
>
> video0 (tuner) -> cable
> video0 (Composite 0) -> none
> video0 (composite 1) -> none
> video0 (S-Video 0) -> none
> video0 (S-Video 1) -> none
>
> video1 (Tuner 0) -> cable
> video1 (composite 0) -> none
> video1 (composite 1) -> none
> video1 (s-video 0) -> none
> video1 (s-video 1) -> none
>
> When I try to watch live-tv what is labeled "tuner 1" gives me static.
> "tuner 2", however, gives my tv.
>
> Actual connections are: composite in & coax cable -- both on the main
> card (daughter card not installed)
>
> So my question now is -- how do I get video on "tuner 1"?
>
> BTW: there are only those 2 tuners listed.  And if I do a straight
> reboot, the devices get all *@!* up.  Cold boots are fine.
>
> Nasa
Ok,

After a little research, I decided to test the card in a win2k box and
make sure it was good.  Thus I downloaded sagetv and tried the card with
it.  I got the card to work, however, I noted I got similar static when
I initially switched to a different tuner.  It went a way as soon as I
choose to view a channel.

Thus I am thinking that one tuner is not being tuned to a channel
correctly.  So how do I force this?

Nasa