[mythtv-users] thoughts about 2 drives 1 video storage 1 system+ other

Jason Richardson merkur2k at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 19:22:37 UTC 2006

>When you upgrade to a newer version of the distro you're on,
>you're recordings will be totally protected on that different
>volume.  If you decide to go with a different distro that may have
>slightly different requirements, you'll have no problems moving
>to that distro and not touching your recordings.
>
>Plus, you can always do lvm later a lot easier if your system stuff
>(plus myth, etc.) is on a different drive.
>
>If you don't care about losing your recordings or you are good
>and back them up, it's not that big of a deal.
>
>Paul

>>> ryan.kremser at gmail.com 01/25/06 5:38 AM >>>
>>What is everyones thoughts when it comes down to partitioning drives. I
>>have a 200 gig hd right now but am looking to reformat and i'm considering
>>putting the video storage only on the 200 gig drive where i'll then put the
>>system and tv buffer on a second 20~30 gig drive.  Anyone see any benifits
>>other than the increase in capacity?

During a recent upgrade to my myth box, I also purchased 2 external
usb2 250 gig hard drives. One is mounted at /mnt/tv and holds all the
recordings as well as the ringbuffer. The other one is at /mnt/share
and contains other misc videos/mp3s/photos/game roms/etc. A 20 gig ide
drive holds the system and boot filesystems, including mysql and its
data.
I used to use several drives in lvm, but got scared when i was seeing
an increase in i/o errors and started losing data so i have no
intentions of using lvm again (or any other form of raid without any
data redunancy). its just too risky, since each drive added to the
array increases the chance for failure of the entire array. after
examining the drives, i believe the hardware to be just fine, but the
errors were from reiserfs. i didnt discover this until after i had
formatted the new system drive to reiserfs though, and notice that it
too is getting the same errors. I think in the future i will stay away
from reiser (the usb drives were formatted with jfs for performance
reasons).
sorry to turn this into a rant on filesystems; i do agree with the
original poster's idea to use multiple drives.