[mythtv-users] Weird TV out problem when trying to watch TV

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 11:23:55 UTC 2006

On 25/01/06, Dan Mize <dan.mize at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, here is the problem.
>
> I have MythTV running on ubuntu 5.10 using a pvr250 card and an ATI 9800 Pro
> video card.  Most everything works great, dvd's play, divx clips play,
> etc...
>
> But when I try to watch TV or a recorded program there is no video.  There
> is sound, but the video turns black.  But DVD's and everything else works, I
> get video.  In TV mode I can see the tv on my monitor but it doesn't go out
> to the TV.  I have the drivers installed correctly for the video card .  Is
> there anything else that may be causing the problem.

I think you will only get TV/recordings displayed on whichever output
device is configured as the primary device. I had the same situation
with one of my setups when I had TV-out and a monitor connected
simultaneously to an ATI Radeon 9000. You can configure the TV as the
primary head (which should give you output on the TV for LiveTV and
recordings) and the monitor would not have the video. Completely
disconnecting the monitor enables the video driver to detect the
connected TV and use that as the primary device with no other
configuring that I remember (other than TV standard to use etc).

Nick