[mythtv-users] whats the best graphics card for HD playback?

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 20:43:19 UTC 2006

On 1/23/06, Todd Ignasiak <ignasiak at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/23/06, Steve Adeff <adeffs at gmail.com> wrote:

> > be an

> > be the
> > >
> > > The only one I found is the AllWell EM6821 PCI card,  their site has
> > some
> > > links to docs for it ( http://www.allwell.tv/ ).
> > >
> > > Other links with info:
> > >

> > http://www.mpeg-playcenter.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=534
> > >3
> > >

> > > http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products/em8620Lseries.htm
> >
> > whoa, thats awesome, too bad its not actually being made...
>

> Do you mean the Allwell card?   I know some vendors are pretty aggressive
> in pre-announcing.  But, it explicitly says "WMV9 and High Definition PCI
> decoder released" on their home page.
>
> I e-mailed the contact on the allwell site.  We'll see if I get any
> pricing or availability information back.

I got  a response from AllWell sales.   The "EM8621 PCI Card" is on their
price list for $125.

But, he said that the drivers are not included, apparently Sigma Designs
requires purchase of their SDK to get access to the drivers (I read
something about them flip-flopping on this in forum discussions of the
card,  the drivers were available, then removed, then back, etc.)

He is working with a third party software company to provide a bundle with
the card & linux software.  He estimated the bundle would be available in
mid march.

Hopefully this card won't be completely limited by Sigma's software
licensing restrictions.  To me, it seems like open drivers would be an
enabler for selling a lot more of their chips..   But, apparently they don't
see it that way.