[mythtv-users] Decent starter combined FE/BE barebones system for $99 AR?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jan 24 16:09:12 UTC 2006

On Jan 24, 2006, at 8:59 AM, Steve Adeff wrote:

> On Tuesday 24 January 2006 10:13, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
>> Just thought I'd pass this along, TigerDirect is offering the
>> following
>> barebones special for $189.99 - $90 MIR (good thru 1/31/2006)
>>
>> http://www.roosster.com/rstr/l/1237537/
>>
>> - Premium ATX mid-tower case w/400-watt PS
>> - Biostar M7NCG 400 (nForce 2 IGP/MCP, Socket A, micro-ATX) (TV-out
>> requires optional bracket)
>> - AMD Sempron 3300+
>> - Ultra Socket A/370 Copper Core CPU fan
>>
>> Just add memory, a hard drive & tuner card(s)!
>>
>> (Note this is the :"M7NCG 400", not the "M7NCG".  Difference?
>> Southbridge chipset, MCP (no firewire) vs. MCP-T (with firewire).
>> Also, the "400" has the TV-out header, original M7NCG doesn't.
>>
>> Obviously not an HTPC case, and who knows what kind of crap power
>> supply
>> is in it... oh, and I wouldn't be surprised if the TV-out bracket is
>> nearly impossible to find... but might make a good starter system...
>> anybody have any experience with using this mobo for Myth?
>>
>> DISCLAIMER: I do not work for TigerDirect, and I cannot vouch for the
>> ease/reliability of their rebates.  Buyer beware!
>>
>> -JAC
>
> TigerDirect rebates are the worst, don't expect to ever see the money.

I almost posted something similar, but decided against, but now that
you have said that:

I have had no problems with rebates that were through manufacturers,
but TigerDirect is now dealing with an outfit called "OnRebate", and
"worst" is the kindest thing I have ever heard about them.

It is to the point where I am probably going to file formal charges
against them with our State AG, those guys border on if not actually
cross into the criminal realm.

I have had many good dealing with Tiger though, as long as the rebate
is not through "OnRebate" I have no problems with them.