[mythtv-users] Opinions on my hardware choices for a new PVR

Matt White whitem at arts.usask.ca
Tue Jan 24 01:00:39 UTC 2006

Richard Bronosky wrote:
> So did you order your
> http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2_Delta2_Platinum
> ?  I'm wondering how it is going.  I've got KnoppMyth working on mine,
> but I have no sound.  A few notes of this MoBo is you haven't ordered it
> yet.
> 1.  It does not have on board Video, so in your original post when you
> mention on board video, I hope you meant from the PVR-350
> 2.  The on board audio is 5.1 which is cool, but it lacks normal stereo
> out.  (I think.  I can't figure out if my no sound issue is HW or SW.)
>
> Please reply, I'd like to share notes with you.

I wasn't the original poster, but I'm a (happy) owner of one of those
boards, running Gentoo.  It's my main backend/frontend box that sits
next to my TV.

Some details:

Audio:  Using ALSA snd-intel8x0 module

# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [CK8            ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK8
                      NVidia CK8 at 0xe3004000, irq 21

There is an analog audio output (actually, there's 6 channel output,
depending on how it's set up - the line in and mic plugs can be used for
output).  I'm using the optical out to my amp - you need the S-Bracket
for that connector.

Network: Using forcedeth module

I use an nVidia AGP card for video out, with the nVidia binary drivers.

--
Matt White
whitem at arts.usask.ca