[mythtv-users] Cost of MythTV Machines

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 23 20:12:38 UTC 2006

> [The following is *not* addressed to Brian specifically; Brian, please
> don't take it as such. It's also in some ways a repeat of what I wrote
> in
> <URL:http://www.mail-archive.com/mythtv-users@mythtv.org/
> msg53363.html>.]
>
> I know this is the cue for half the list to jump in with how they
> built a great MythTV box out of the parts sitting in the closet, or
> how they bought a $100 motherboard and a $25 case and a $100 CPU,
> etc., etc., and built a great MythTV box. Hey, more power to
> you. Guess what? Most of you aren't even trying to do HDTV, or if you
> are you're likely the ones trying to play 1080i with a low-end Celeron
> or two year-old AMD and finding that even XvMC doesn't help much. Let
> me repeat: My time is worth money. Or, conversely, it can be
> worthwhile to pay someone else to do the heavy lifting in the whole
> parts procurement and assembly phase of MythTV. Heaven knows this list
> is living proof that the software phase is difficult enough!

I would not have taken the above incorrectly, even without the
disclaimer, your points are quite valid.

I realize that time is money of course. I just happen to be retired
from the television broadcast business and have more time to tinker
than most, and I can't resist playing around with Video.

I do of course miss the days when the 3TB that I see mentioned as
"huge storage" was the size of the RAM cache for our server, and our
encoders cost more than the house I now live in :-)