[mythtv-users] Cost of MythTV Machines

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 23 04:26:02 UTC 2006

With some recent discussion here about CPUs and costs I wonder what
the "average" cost of a MythTV machine might be.

I have seen some "turnkey" machines offered for what I consider to be
very high prices, even given the fact that the builders deserve a
certain profit. I do not wish to mention names, but $1500 for what
seems to be a minimal front/back-end box with 1 capture card seems
quite high to me, although I will grant that it is a far better deal
than what Sony wants for a DRM-ridden MCE device.

I think if one was constructing a computer specifically for MythTV a
minimal F/B configuration might cost $600, using refurbed components
perhaps, and with 1 MPEG-encoding capture card. $1500 would buy a
very nice machine with maybe 1TB of storage and 3 capture cards.
These guesses include a "computer" monitor but not an entertainment-
quality display.

Anybody have ideas? What "should" a MythTV machine cost? Are the
"commercial" offerings realistic? Obviously a lot of us are re-using
hardware we have hanging around, it may be rare for somebody to
purchase gear solely to build a DVR. I'm just wondering what folks
are doing.

A related matter - What is the position of Zap-2-It Labs on these pre-
built machines? Does this violate the "personal use" license? I admit
I have no idea on this one.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org