[mythtv-users] poor audio and video

Thomas Baker thomas.baker at villanova.edu
Sun Jan 22 22:10:47 UTC 2006

I have two problems that may or may not be related, one with poor audio
and another with poor video.  I'm using Fedroa Core 4 64-bit and
everything runs beautifully in TvTime, however, when I play "live" tv in
MythTv, the audio only plays out of one speaker and the quality of the
sound is sub-par.  By this I mean there is a little bit of static and
frequent "pops".  I have played around a lot with alsamixer with the
levels, and to get this question out of the way, yes my line in is muted
and set as the capture.  I have set the volumes on "Master" and "PCM" to
around 75% to assure teh audio is not peaking out.  "Capture" is set to
0% (not mutable) because there is even more static and overall "tinny"
quallity when it is raised (still one speaker only).  "Wave" is turned
up as well as the "AC97 Capture" is turned up (not sure why these in
particular, but with experimentation, I don't get any of the recorded
audio without them).  As for the video, the overall picture quality is
poor.  excluding the brightness, contrast, colour and hue, the picutre
has a lot of thin horizontal lines in it.  It seems like once MythTV
takes in the captured media, it just butchers the quality.  These right
now are my two biggest problems and would appreciate any help I can get
with this.

Thanks,

Tom