[mythtv-users] Problems with FF and REW

Steve Briggs zzybaloobah at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 21 06:05:50 UTC 2006

fanmail at micah-wedemeyer.net wrote:
> I've been having problems recently with fast-forward and rewind.
> When I try to skip around, everything freezes for a second, then
> it changes.  However, the change is always very slight (like 1-2
> seconds) and there is a lot of artifacting before things settle
> back to normal a second or two later.  Effectively, I can't skip
> around in recordings anymore.

> Also, I get the same problem when watching shows as they record
> (ie. before they are transcoded to mpeg4)

Well, I do know that MPEG-4 -> MPEG-4 transcoding broke seek for
a bunch of recent myth versions. I think 0.18.1 in particular is
broken.  The SVN series around 8400-8500 are also broken.  This
particular bug is fixed in the latest SVN.
I have no idea on seeking on a currently recording show; I don't
watch live TV.
I don't think playing/seeking with a MPEG-4 file uses the
recordedmarkup table at all, that info is encoded directly
in the MPEG-4 file.  Yes, I know that's what lots of people
suggest, but AFAIK, the recordedmarkup table is irrelevant
for MPEG-4 seeking (please, someone tell me if I'm wrong!).

Steve