[mythtv-users] HD3000 DVB Recordings - Freezes on Playback

Michael Haan michael.haan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 14:11:55 UTC 2006

On 1/20/06, frank s <frank8205 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello, I am a newbie to mythtv and have a setup that
> is working fairly well, but is having a problem with
> freezes under certain conditions.
>
> I have been searching the board for MythTV users who
> are having a problem similar to what I am experiencing
> and have turned up a couple of posts that are similar.
> Neither have a posted resolution or are linked, but
> they may be the same.
>
> First a short description of the problem as I am
> experiencing it:
>
> Setup
> - HD3000 connected to us-cable (digital)
> - Dell 4700 w/Pentium 4 Processor 530 with HT
> Technology (3.00GHz, 800 FSB)
> - 512 MB RAM
> - 160 GB EIDE SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
> - Hauppauge PVR 1081 RT connected to us-cable (analog)
> - Fedora Core 4
> - MythTV 0.18.1
> - frontend and backend are both on this box
>
> Problem symptoms
> - watching live HDTV sometimes freezes (mostly with
> 720p format)
> - playing back HDTV recordings made while watching
> analog tv usually freeze
> - playing back HDTV recordings made while frontend is
> idle appear NOT to freeze (7 hours of recordings made
> with no freeze)
> - when freeze occurs kswapd0 becomes very active and
> the disk usage grows with time
> - a particular recording will always freeze at the
> same point on multiple playback attempts
> - skipping past the freeze point does not cause a
> freeze, but audio is lost even though the video is
> good
> - playing the recording in the window of the select
> recording page allows the video to play right through
> the freeze point without freeze occurring (of course
> there is no audio at all in this case)
> - the frontend reports a prebuffering pause when the
> freeze occurs
> - the freeze occurs at the same point when mplayer is
> used to play the recording
>
> Two previous posts that I found which appear to be
> related to this problem are:
>
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2006-January/116465.html
> and
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2005-December/115226.html
>
> I would appreciate any ideas on how to correct this
> issue.  Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Frank

Well, the "good" news is that now I am not an isolated incident of this.  I
am experiencing almost exactly what you are.  I say almost because I haven't
broken down the circumstances under which it may freeze.  But, when it does
happen, my experience is exactly the same as yours.  My current attempt at
fixing this involves changing out my video FS from reiser to ext3.  I did
that last night but haven't be able to test it yet.  What FS are you using?