[mythtv-users] Myth Remote Control

Ben Suffolk ben at vanilla.net
Fri Jan 20 10:48:32 UTC 2006

Mark,

I just bought myself a Sky Commander Remote from ebay. Only cost £10
new inc postage. Basically its a sky+ remote that flips open to
contain a qwerty keyboard.

This is the URL of the one I bought (auction now ended, but I'm sure
there are lots more on ebay). I'm including it as it has a picture so
you can see what we are talking about :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&item=5853802124&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

I figured this would be a great way to have a general remote, but
with keyboard access if you needed it for setup & searching etc.

Probably the only downside is that it does not have a menu button
(but I used the info button to bring up the menu). My nova-t one did
not have a separate menu button either anyway.

Its RC6 based so I had to build up a new receiver for lirc as the one
on my nova-t card did not work with it. I also experienced an
interesting problem. To start with I could not get it to work at all
with lirc. The config file checking into cvs did not work for it and
I could not get irrecord to pick it up, it kept thinking it was an
RC5 unit, or it wanted to record in raw mode then woudl not work.

Anyway I solved the problem, and hopefully by posting it here anybody
else who has a similar problem will be able to find a solution.

I was not close enough to the IR receiver for learning. It was the
other side of the room. When I put the remote right by the receiver
(couple of inches) it figured it was an RC6 and was happy to learn
the commands. The file it produced however is subtly different from
the one in CVS. If you want my file let me know.

I have configured the keyboard to send events via irxevent so it can
be used in any application, and the main remote keys are configured
in myth. Interestingly enough the keys on the keyboard that duplicat
the remote keys (colour, mute, vol, navigation etc) send different ir
commands, so if you want you can have then do different things.

Ben