[mythtv-users] Using DVD VIDEO_TS directories on disk with MythTV?

David Sims dl.sims at comcast.net
Fri Jan 20 01:53:38 UTC 2006

On Jan 19, 2006, at 6:22 PM, Todd Ignasiak wrote:

> I have several DVDs saved on my file server as VIDEO_TS directories
> with their associated IFO and VOB files saved in there.  I am
> currently using my Mac Mini to play them with the Apple DVD player &
> Matinee as a launcher.
>
> I have begun looking into MythTV options for handling this data,  but
> as far as I can tell it doesn't integrate into MythTV very well.
>
> The file layout is something like:
>
>      /XMas_2002/VIDEO_TS/{*.IFO, *.VOB}
>      /Wedding/VIDEO_TS/{*.IFO, *.VOB}
>
> Where the top directory is the name of the DVD, the second is always
> VIDEO_TS, and the DVD data files are below that.  Ideally, I would
> like to treat the top dir as the title, and associate a JPEG image
> with that, and have a view launched that treats VIDEO_TS as a DVD.
>

> Has anyone already come up with a solution for this within MythTV?
> If not, any pointers towards other good Linux solutions?

You can turn the directory structure into an iso disk image and import
that into MythVideo just like any other video file.  Configure
MythVideo to use xine as the player.  It can play the video from an iso
dvd image with full DVD menu support.  MythVideo's Video Manager will
let you specify the title and image to display in the browser.

- David