[mythtv-users] Simple kernel upgrade question

mrwester mrwester at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 00:54:12 UTC 2006

On 1/19/06, Michael Haan <michael.haan at gmail.com > wrote:

> I want to get the 2.6.15 kernel so I can try to use my DVICO Fusion 5 Lite
> with QAM.  I've done kernel upgrades before, but never using yum with FC4.
> I installed using Jarod's guide, so what's the best way to do this?

You don't need to install the whole kernel, you can just install modules
into 2.6.14 as described by Michael Krufky.
Works great for me.  His e-mail is quoted below:
The best route is to just install the new modules from cvs.

howto-wiki: http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/How_to_build_from_CVS

I usually just point people to the wiki, but because of the recent merge
of the v4l + dvb cvs trees, I've included the detailed instructions
above for your convenience.

Here are the instructions:

1) Check-out the newly merged v4l-dvb cvs repository:

 cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs.linuxtv .org:/cvs/video4linux login
 cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs.linuxtv.org:/cvs/video4linux co v4l-dvb

2) Change into the v4l-dvb directory:

 cd v4l-dvb

3) (optional) If you are recompiling the cvs modules against a different
kernel, clean the tree and kernel version info:

 make distclean

4) Compile the modules:

 make

5) Install them: (as root)

 make install

6) Remove the previous modules from memory:

  modprobe -r bt878 && modprobe -r bttv

(you might want to use "rmmod" instead of "modprobe -r" -- your choice)

7) Load up the new modules:

  modprobe dvb-bt8xx