[mythtv-users] Simple kernel upgrade question

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Jan 20 00:45:10 UTC 2006

On Thursday 19 January 2006 16:38, Michael Haan wrote:
> On 1/19/06, Drew Tomlinson <drew at mykitchentable.net> wrote:
> > On 1/19/2006 4:12 PM Michael Haan wrote:
> > > On 1/19/06, *Jarod Wilson* <jarod at wilsonet.com
> > > <mailto:jarod at wilsonet.com>> wrote:

> > >     # yum install kernel
> > >
> > >     Though there's no 2.6.15 kernel packaged (at least not yet) for
> > >     FC4. You could
> > >     try one of the FC5 test/rawhide kernels though. Or build from
> > >     source. The
> > >     latest rawhide kernels are working peachy for me on a few systems
> > >     now (save
> > >     the new driver included for broadcom wireless cards that makes my
> > >     laptop kp).
> > >
> > > I thought I tried this and it re-installed 2.6.14 - no?  Will I get a
> > > chance to specify?
> >
> > Re-read Jarod's reply.  There is no 2.6.15 yet for FC4.
>
> Understood - But I thought his implication was that I could use yum to grab
> an FC5 test version.  Am I wrong?

You need to enable the development repo. Can be done via a config file change
(in /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-devel.repo), but not recommended. I'd use:

# yum --enablerepo=development install kernel

That only enables the development repo for that calling of yum.

Note that Axel isn't packaging up kernel modules for every single development
kernel though, since there's typically at least one new kernel per day, but
he is starting to roll packages for what will be FC5.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com